Home

During this group project- we had many conversations deciding upon different parts of the publication and this helped us to improve upon our speaking and listening and teamwork in general. This was not by any means an easy task, as there were lots of different ideas on how to create the publication.

First of all we discussed the idea of having separate sections for each of our research, but this once created in the first dummy book made our work look too sectioned, and it would have been more interesting to see combinations of our different subjects. In order to do this, we each discussed our topics of research and i took some notes on each of our subjects:

Heather:

  • book making- physicality of the book itself
  • importance of technological influence
  • how to bridge the gap between physical book with technological elements?
  • truth and lies reference- tricking the reader into believing a false reality
  • scientific drawings and influences on style
  • futurism & typography
  • artifact depiction as opposed to illustrating the story itself

Koye:

  • interactive art- referencing comicon
  • nike’s latest interactive art
  • interactive displays by random international
  • rain room
  • how can interactive art be published
  • comic artists such as dave johnson
  • avoiding the kleshay of using NYC in interactive comic book by using london
  • pop out elements

Domenika:

  • Dreams/ unconscious imagery
  • how humans can be represented by animals in dreams
  • unconscious imagery of cats
  • records dreams – surreal narratives
  • automatic drawing- relinquishing control
  • research on automatic drawwing- photograms and cyanotypes

Marija:

  • chinese and japanese mythology
  • V&A exhibition of scrolls
  • sumi brush art
  • fantasy myths have a basis in reality
  • comparing of eastern/western stereotypes
  • ghibili/ comic art
  • scroll making and woodblock printing

Enzo:

  • Coke-Cola advertising campaign
  • commercialism
  • brand status
  • researching and archiving vintage advertisements

Sam:

  • internet art & how illustration is changing
  • how illustrators adapt
  • drawing for research
  • finding style- ref sylvia plath
  • experiments with process
  • physical research- influenced by poetry
  • is poetry different to illustrating another type of narrative
  • response to a prose could be more personal?

After discussing our research we independently created our pages- after creating the first try of pages we then made some decisions regarding how they should look if they were going to compliment eachother when all mixed together:

  • images should be in one tone- pages can have a maximum of two tones in order to stop clashing and keep the publication at low cost for printing
  • we were originally going to have different size pages, then changed to just A5 because we felt the book looked disorganized- but then decided that it looked far more interesting to have a mixture of A4 & A5 pages.
  • we decided to add a few interesting elements like fold outs, consatina fold outs and tippins, also heather had a pocket with a paper cut computer card in it.
  • we tested different types of paper- after sourcing different samples from the art building such as pattern paper from fashion and thick card from graphics and newsprint from the print room, we also liked the qualities of photocopy paper for some peoples work, like Adam’s because his pages were very simple type in the center of the page.
  • we tested out layering our imagery in different colours, and this worked very well and julianna’s pages looked especially interesting.
  • the cover was created using a type found by julianna and myself and then we edited it on illustrator to make it laser cut friendly. We then found some great light brown folders in rymans that we thought would be fitting for a “Research File” and we laser cut these and then created a flourescent page to go under the cut out type using the risograph printer 🙂 it looked very effective together!
  • the binding was something that caused a few altercations within the group, some wanting to handsew it, others wanting to staple it, but we found that the chosen better quality paper was too thick to staple and handsewing the binding wasn’t as difficult as i expected 🙂 i was really happy to learn how to do this aswell

here are some progress images from making the book:

1509092_10155388070475151_6869495136924676250_n 11046203_10155388069860151_6785462219519165436_n 11046721_10155388070950151_4997177240553364954_n 11034260_10155388067320151_4344976354542725148_n 10711028_10155388069360151_4161059354988484115_n 10420766_10155388070205151_9200153969224045965_n

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s